For those VT mushers who use NH Trails and ATVs, some news from the July 2016 edition of the NH Mushers Newsletter: It was announced that several rail trails will no longer allow the use of ATVs.
The restriction of ATV use is a Federal ruling, even though the State of New Hampshire was for mushers using their trails for sled dog training. The trails affected are the NH trails that were purchased with Federal grants and therefore fall under Federal rules and regulations. Mushers who use ATVs to help train, are advised to search for new NH trails on which to train.
The NH trails that cannot be used with an ATV are as follows:
- Northern Rail Trail (Boscawen to Lebanon, 59 miles)
- Ashuelot (Keene to Hinsdale, 21 miles)
- Cheshire (Fitzwilliam to Walpole, 42 miles)
- Farmington Branch (Rochester to Farmington, 7 miles)
- Fort Hill (Hinsdale, 9 miles)
- Monadnock Branch (9 miles)
For more information, contact the NH Mushers Association.